Thursday, August 25, 2011

Review: NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skintone

Alright since I am still in the process of amassing cosmetics, this is another first for me. Because this is my first ever primer (eyeshadow primer to be exact) which will be followed by my UD Box of Potions scheduled to arrive late September.

Anyway, I am starting to get into the goodness of the NYX brand because thrift girl here adores their super wide range of colors and products for less. And I have to blame my seller/NYX provider Ms. Christine B. from Vanitygirl Shop for enabling me with speedy transactions! :) Much love to her! And the NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skintone is my second purchase from her following my 10-piece Runway Palette in Champagne and Caviar (now renamed Caviar and Bubbles). Although there were issues with the courier upon delivering (the delivery guy went to different addresses and stated that I had either moved out or the house was abandoned), it arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to try it out today. So here it is:





According to the packaging, it is "To hold, intensify & last longer." It comes in a jar that is about over an inch high, and as you can see on the image below, it is skin tone in color. The smell is like that of your typical powder foundation which I like because I'm not one who enjoys having strong fragrances on my cosmetics.


As for the consistency, it's a little thick when i swirl my finger in the pot to get some of the primer. I actually thought that it would be smoother or mousse like. I suppose that is a good thing when I apply it on my eyelid because you get more control on the product when you start spreading it around.


When I apply it on the skin, it glides on smoothly and doesn't clump at all at the lash line and is quite easy to blend. In my experience it doesn't crease or leave streaks on the lid, although I wished that it would be "powdery smooth" once it has been blended like "cream to powder" foundations.


I have been using this primer for a couple of days now, and so far I am pleased with it. It stands up to the humidity of Philippine weather quite nicely, and my eyeliner that I apply on rim of my lower lash line (which I often have problems with regarding "raccoon eyes") didn't bleed or smear and give me black eye. And it takes quite some effort for my eye makeup to smudge when I accidentally rub it! Very big plus on this primer. It does its job of intensifying some of the weakest colors (for example the pink in my NARS Kuala Lumpur eyeshadow...although not as much as I would like), but my eyeshadow still has the tendency to lose their "oomf". It's my first time using a primer for my eye makeup, so I dunno if I should have applied a little more primer or a little more of my eyeshadow so that even if it fades, there's still a lot of the product left. I'll only be able to make a true comparison between this and another primer when my UD Box of Potions arrive next month.

PROS:

1.) Very cheap as opposed to most eyeshadow bases.
2.) It contains a lot of product for its size considering that you don't have to use so much.
3.) Holds the eye color in place quite nicely, especially eyeliners.

CONS:
1.) A little unsanitary for my standards because more often than not, a finger will be used to apply the primer. (Beware of conjunctivitis!)
2.) Eyeshadow still has a tendency to fade.

REPURCHASE?:

I might because it's the cheapest one in the market (since I am on a budget most of the time :P)

WHERE TO BUY?:

No comments:

Post a Comment